10 Hidden Hollywood Classics

10 Hidden Hollywood Classics

By Bailee Leathers and Keaton Clark

Butter up the popcorn kids, here are 10 of Hollywood’s best-kept secrets. These quotable, heartfelt films will keep you on the edge of your seat or crying into the cushions of your couch.  Either way, you’ll be wondering how you lived your life without them. Whether it’s a movie marathon with the valentine this weekend, or you know, your dog and a pint of ice cream, there’s something for everyone.  Check out our list to discover a new (to you) favorite.

1. Kicking and Screaming (2005)

Phil Weston’s (Will Ferrell) life has constantly been overshadowed by his father, Buck Weston.  When the opportunity arises to “stick it to his Old Man”, with the help of (cameo) Mike Ditka, Phil jumps at the chance to turn a soccer team of 10-year old misfits into champions.  Phil’s competitive nature, aided by coffee and a deep-seated desire to beat his dad, launches his team into a roller-coaster of quotable shenanigans.  (PG)

1. Heavyweights (1995)

Gerald Garner’s (Aaron Schwartz) summer plans are foiled when his parents force him to attend Camp Hope, a weight loss camp. At first the summer promises great fun (with very little weight loss) until the camp is taken over by fitness-dictator Tony Perkis (Ben Stiller).  Join Gerry and his friends as they rebel against their twinky-hating oppressors.(PG)

1. Never Back Down (2008)

After Jake Tyler (Sean Faris)  is forced by his mom to move to Orlando, Florida, he is angry and refuses to adapt to his new school. When he falls for it-girl (Amber Heard), she invites him to a big party, where he is beaten up by her boyfriend Ryan McCarthy (Cam Gigandet). The trend in Orlando is mixed martial arts, and this is very foreign to Jake. With Jake’s built up anger and determination he trains to face Ryan again. (PG-13)

1. 10 Things I Hate About You (1999)

Popular-girl turned misfit Kat Stratford (Julia Stiles) is the exact opposite of her fun-loving, sundress-wearing little sister, Bianca (Larisa Oleynik).  The only similarity? Neither of them are allowed to date, or at least Bianca can’t date until Kat does.   Bianca’s love-struck admirer, Cameron (Joseph Gordon Levitt), must convince fearless bad-boy Patrick Verona (Heath Ledger) to embark on the dangerous quest to win Kat’s affection.  (PG-13)

1. Catch Me if You Can (2002)

Based on a true story, Frank Abagnale Jr. (Leonardo Dicaprio) runs away from home at the age of 17, and is somehow able to impersonate a teacher, pilot, doctor, and lawyer before his 18th birthday. How did he do all of this? He is simply a brilliant manipulator, and a master at forging checks, perhaps the greatest and most successful. His life is going smoothly until a savvy FBI Carl Hanratty (Tom Hanks) catches onto Abagnale’s illegal endeavors. Abagnale must  remain on the move to escape the long arm of the law. (PG-13)

1. Shutter Island (2010)

Teddy Daniels (Leonardo DiCaprio) is a U.S Marshal sent to investigate the disappearance of a mental patient  accused of drowning her three children in this Neo-Noir psychological thriller. He and his new partner (Mark Ruffalo) travel to a distant island known as Ashecliffe Hospital, a place to rehabilitate the mentally insane. Many of these patient are violent murderers. As the investigation deepens, Teddy dives into many secrets about Ashecliffe, some he never wanted to know. Detective Daniels must confront his fear and find a way to escape the island. (R)

1. What’s Eating Gilbert Grape (1993)

Gilbert Grape, (Johnny Depp) a boy acting as the man of the house, supports his family with his job at the local grocery store. He cares for his mother (Darlene Cates) who is too overweight to leave the house, and his little brother Arnie (Leonardo Dicaprio) who is mentally impaired. Gilbert is often stressed and frustrated, but his emotions take a turn when he meets Becky, a new girl in town. (Juliette Lewis). (PG-13)

1. Crazy, Stupid, Love (2011)

Cal Weaver (Steve Carrell) has everything: a great job, a beautiful house, and a lovely wife and kids. However, his life is turned upside down when he finds out that his wife, (Julianne Moore) is having an affair with another man and wants a divorce. Cal is forced to move on with his life and is depressed until he and the dashing and handsome Jacob Palmer (Ryan Gosling) become friends. Jacob coaches Cal into getting “back in the game”. (PG-13)

1. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (2003)

Going for her big break in the world of journalism, Andie Anderson (Kate Hudson) begins to research for an article about all the things women do to make men end their relationship, with herself as the subject.  The object of her case study, Ben Berry (Matthew McConaughey), is a womanizer with a bet that he can win over any girl in 10 dates.  Neither knows of the other’s ulterior motives as they begin their “relationship”, with hilarious antics around every corner.  (PG-13)

1. Good Will Hunting (1997)

Will Hunting (Matt Damon) is a genius; he can solve problems that no one else in the world can, but he has hid this his entire life. He lives a simple life fooling around with his lifetime friends in Boston, including his best friend Chuckie Sullivan (Ben Affleck). Ignoring his brilliance, he works as a janitor at MIT. After solving a nearly impossible problem on the board while he is at work, he can no longer hide his brilliance. Professor Gerald Lambeau (Stellan Stargard) tries to help Will reach his by his full potential by understanding his mind. After Will is arrested for multiple charges, he is forced to see a therapist Sean Maguire (Robin Williams). Will and Sean’s relationship will forever change their lives. (R)