Breaking: In-person classes at Center Grove suspended until at least May 1

Kelsey Osborne

photo by Kelsey Osborne

This story is developing and could include outdated information as the situation progresses. Students, family, and faculty are advised to check emails often and regularly in order to receive the most up-to-date information.

The Center Grove administration announced Thursday night that in-person coursework would be canceled for the week of Mar. 16-20. The announcement comes as the 2019 coronavirus disease (COVID-19), has begun to spread at an accelerated and unprecedented rate across the country. At the time of publication, Johnson County had three confirmed cases of COVID-19, bringing Indiana’s total number of cases to 12. Governor Eric Holcomb announced sweeping changes, including travel restrictions for state government employees and 20 waiver days for each school that do not need to be made up.

In addition to canceling in-person classes, the Center Grove administration announced the cancelation of all extracurricular activities until further notice. This includes the postponement of games and practices for all spring sports.

From Monday, Mar. 16 until Wednesday, Mar. 18, Center Grove students will not have any work to make up or complete as these are waiver days. On Thursday, Mar. 19 and Friday, Mar. 20, Center Grove will implement e-learning days. Students must log into Canvas for their respective red day classes (Thursday) and white day classes (Friday) in order to be counted present.

Students should continue to practice good hygiene, follow CDC guidelines, monitor themselves and family for symptoms, and remain calm during this period of time. For more information, FAQs, and tips on how to stay safe, visit the official page regarding Center Grove School Corporation’s response to COVID-19 here.

Stay tuned to Trojaneer for updates on the coronavirus over break including stories from students, updates from the administration, and how to stay safe.

Update: All in-person classes in the state of Indiana have been suspended by Governor Holcomb until at least May 1.